[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Mon Feb 25 23:15:32 CST 2002

On 25-Feb-02 David Hurst wrote:

      I agree with you, WoR, Restore, Holy Word, Bomb and Town Portal are really

      the

      only spells the

      average player uses unless in a specific situation that there is clearly a

      better solution

      (dragons.. )

      I don't like the idea that all the other hundreds of spells aren't useful

      perhaps more thought

      could be put into a way of fixing this problem, certainly what AV suggests is

      step in the right

      direction.

On our mud, we had the problem that portals became abused, much like they seem
to be becoming here.  We had a unique solution.

We called it the void.  When you stepped into the portal, there was a
percentage change (like 5) that you would get dumped into the void.  The void,
was a no-magic, silent room (cant shout or speak).  In there lived a
particularly nasty creature, who was horribly aggressive, and incredibly
dangerous to even top-level players.

What this caused, was that players used portals more gingerly.  Only when they
absolutely needed to.  They didn't use them willy-nilly, knowing that a very
bad thing could happen if they did hit the void.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS