[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Scott Barnes reeve at ductape.net
Tue Feb 26 10:28:10 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 00:15, Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 25-Feb-02 David Hurst wrote:

      > I agree with you, WoR, Restore, Holy Word, Bomb and Town Portal are really

      > the

      > only spells the

      > average player uses unless in a specific situation that there is clearly a

      > better solution

      > (dragons.. )

      > I don't like the idea that all the other hundreds of spells aren't useful

      > perhaps more thought

      > could be put into a way of fixing this problem, certainly what AV suggests is

      > step in the right

      > direction.

      On our mud, we had the problem that portals became abused, much like they seem

      to be becoming here.  We had a unique solution.

      We called it the void.  When you stepped into the portal, there was a

      percentage change (like 5) that you would get dumped into the void.  The void,

      was a no-magic, silent room (cant shout or speak).  In there lived a

      particularly nasty creature, who was horribly aggressive, and incredibly

      dangerous to even top-level players.

      What this caused, was that players used portals more gingerly.  Only when they

      absolutely needed to.  They didn't use them willy-nilly, knowing that a very

      bad thing could happen if they did hit the void.

Wow!  I just wanted to say I REALLY like this idea!  Although, I had an
idea like this that I wanted to discuss too.  My idea was the same
principle as the "void" idea, except that instead of a void with a
monster of unspeakable evil in it, I was thinking it could transport the
player to one of the gods special little "worlds".  Like the dark world
of Gorokh or the end of the universe (The Devourers world).  Then they
would have to fight their way through it and defeat the avatar of the
god that rules it to get back.  (or die of course :))

--
-- --
Reeve the cat