[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Tue Feb 26 06:34:47 CST 2002

     On our mud, we had the problem that portals became abused, much like they

     seem

     to be becoming here.  We had a unique solution.

     We called it the void.

     <snip>

The current problem with spellcasting is that it is too "piece-of-cake" - you
do not risk anything when failing to cast a spell. IMO, we should try to:
1 - Rise the difficulty level for spells known to be too powerful (there
should always be a small chance of failing the higher level spells);
2 - Make high-level spellcasting more unpredictable and dangerous.

If I remember well, there was a crossfire compile-time option to activate
"backfire effects" for failed spellcasting, but I've never seen it on a public
server. We could reactivate and modify it a little to allow more "dangerous"
effects (like The Void) not only for the Town Portal, but also for all other
"high level" spells.

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.pronym.org

      for a