[CF-Devel] Fork in CFJavaEditor?

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 21:52:38 CST 2002

      That's dissappointing. Why'd you open source it in the first

      place, if you don't want other to contribute to the code base?

      [...]

      What really is irritating is that you do not seem to "get" open

      source development. In all the other project I code for there is

      always a clash of ego. Then lots of discussion, compromises, and

      finally a solution that acceptable to the developers and (usually)

      very good for the community.

And I have heard opensource also means that people inform
the community before changing other people's work.
Maybe I didn't get it indeed...

      Forking of the code can be good and bad. [...]

      In crossfire's case 1 project will stagnate.

      Bottom line AV, your fork hurts the -community-, IMHO.

I enjoy working in a community as long as I
feel treated in a fair way.

      I've seen you do this 2 times now. If it's not your way, then

      you storm off and fork the code and start a new project, instead

      of trying to work with the community.

Your wrong, I didn't do that before.
I didn't meet anyone I couldn't get along with, before.

      My intention with the editor was to make it easier to build,

      package and deploy under linux. I never intended to take over

      the development or design of the project.

      [...]

      I'd like to work with you to integrate your changes into the

      main cvs repository and change whatever you want to keep the

      project together.

That's a very kind offer.
If I had the old package name, source in "/CFEditor" and the
former indenting style - I could easily merge my stuff in cvs
and abandon the forked version.

Andreas V.

PS.: By "former indenting style" I mean this:

if (expression) {
    statement;
    statement;
}

on cvs currently, most files contain this:

if (expression)
    {
        statement;
        statement;