[CF List] A way to add crossfire to your X menus

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 15 18:03:25 CDT 2002

It appears that the tclug-menu rpm is meant to add a menu option for
the clients...

This doesn't work on my installation of Mandrake 8.0 - I do not have
gnome installed, only KDE.  (As a result, I suppose I wonder why it
is a requirement on the crossfire-client rpms.)

To add a crossfire client to my user's menus, I had to create the
following files:

[

     krb at krayp120

      krb]$ cat /usr/lib/menu/gcfclient
?package(crossfire-client-gtk):\
needs="x11"\
section="Amusement/Adventure"\
title="Crossfire GTK Client"\
longtitle="The GTK Client for Crossfire"\
command="/usr/bin/gcfclient"\
icon="crossfire-client.png"

     krb at krayp120

      krb]$ cat /usr/lib/menu/cfclient
?package(crossfire-client):\
needs="x11"\
section="Amusement/Adventure"\
title="Crossfire Client"\
longtitle="The Client for Crossfire"\
command="/usr/bin/cfclient"\
icon="crossfire-client.png"

After this, as root, run update-menus

Now all users will see the clients in their menu structure.

Uhm...  The main technicality I see here is that the crossfire-client.png
file is supplied by the crossfire-client-gtk rpm.  If you only installed
the crossfire-client rpm, the graphic would not be available, but
this does not prevent the menu item from being created.

It would also be possible to use the file name that tclug-menu rpm...
package_games_adventure.png