[CF List] A way to add crossfire to your X menus

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Sun Jul 21 10:45:10 CDT 2002

Please tell me where Mandrake will look for the menu and icons and I'll adjust
the rpm.

The rpm is pretty much GNOME, Redhat friendly as that is all I got :-) But I'd
like to the rpm friendly to all RPM based distros.

Quoting Kevin R. Bulgrien (

     kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net

     ):

      It appears that the tclug-menu rpm is meant to add a menu option for

      the clients...

      This doesn't work on my installation of Mandrake 8.0 - I do not have

      gnome installed, only KDE.  (As a result, I suppose I wonder why it

      is a requirement on the crossfire-client rpms.)

      To add a crossfire client to my user's menus, I had to create the

      following files:

      [

      krb at krayp120

       krb]$ cat /usr/lib/menu/gcfclient

      ?package(crossfire-client-gtk):\

      needs="x11"\

      section="Amusement/Adventure"\

      title="Crossfire GTK Client"\

      longtitle="The GTK Client for Crossfire"\

      command="/usr/bin/gcfclient"\

      icon="crossfire-client.png"

      krb at krayp120

       krb]$ cat /usr/lib/menu/cfclient

      ?package(crossfire-client):\

      needs="x11"\

      section="Amusement/Adventure"\

      title="Crossfire Client"\

      longtitle="The Client for Crossfire"\

      command="/usr/bin/cfclient"\

      icon="crossfire-client.png"

      After this, as root, run update-menus

      Now all users will see the clients in their menu structure.

      Uhm...  The main technicality I see here is that the crossfire-client.png

      file is supplied by the crossfire-client-gtk rpm.  If you only installed

      the crossfire-client rpm, the graphic would not be available, but

      this does not prevent the menu item from being created.

      It would also be possible to use the file name that tclug-menu rpm...

      package_games_adventure.png

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com