[CF-Devel] Java Editor bug.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jun 6 02:28:02 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

     Minor bug in the java editor - if a multipart object spans

     tiled maps, the  editor is unable to load the map -

     it throws an exception.

      The reason for this is that I explicitly designed the editor

      not to allow multis overlapping byond the map border.

      For non-tiled maps, such overlapping should not be allowed.

      I didn't know even that it is okay for tiled maps.

  Yeah - it is correct that for non tiled maps, you should have portions of the
object outside the map boundary.

  When the map is loaded/saved, only the head portion is saved.  When the server
loads the map, it will see that a portion of the object is on an adjacent map,
load up that map, and link the objects in.

  this aspect isn't really well tested.  there are some odd issues when you go
to save the maps now.

  As I think about it, it may be better not to allow such behaviour.  As it is,
the server can't really handle a case in which the player is on a map in which
the non head portion resides, but the the map where the head is located is not
visible yet.

  OTOH, I sort of dislike the idea not allowing such objects near the seems of
the maps,

      The correct approach would be to allow multi-overlapping

      byond map border only on tiled maps and only adacent to

      another map-tile.

yep

      I wonder what would happen when in such a case the adjacent

      map-tile would be missing or removed. However, I think it

      is more the job of the server to protect itself against such

      an incident.

  Yep.  I think in that case, the normal out_of_map code will kick in, resulting
in the object not being inserted.  Or that is what should happen.