[cf-admin] crossfire1.1.0

Joris Bontje jbontje at suespammers.org
Sat Mar 23 19:07:09 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:06:22PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      > Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > I just reinstalled using the new 1.1.0 package.  I had only one problem - the

      > first time I started crossfire it failed saying it couldn't find the faces

      > file (Joris Bontje replied to this - and I pulled a faces file from the CVS).

      > This is an improvement over last version since I could not get crossfire to

      > install in my /usr/local using the -prefix setting in 1.0.0 (it did but, kept

      > looking for stuff in the /usr/games default.), but this time it worked, so i'm

      > happy.

       Yep - known bug.

We are really thankfull for installation bugs. I am running my server
for a long time now, and I never do a fresh install so I wont encounter
those. But they really prevent new people from enjoying the game.

      > I like the new interaction commands - one of my friends jumped out of their

      > mail when I licked them.  I think this is important fluff that really enhances

      > the game.  I did notice that some of the skills function differently (was told

      > pray was not working - now you need to fire it off with a direction (?).

       I don't believe the syntax has changed at all.  You can still use just

      'use_skill praying'.

I, and most people, have bound use_skill praying to some key. I have
bound it to 'p' and invoke it 3 times:
bind use_skill praying; use_skill praying; use_skill praying
press 'p' to bind it to p.

      > [cut]

      > I also have a suggestion for a new thing- how about a message board object

      > that could be placed in towns and allow people to put up messages or maybe

      > even an apartment mailbox type of thing (message delivery not free of course -

      > even put in a post kiosk with a jaded employee)? This comes since I noticed

      > that marking rune (all spells actually) don't work the streets of scorn

      > anymore.

       I think Joris did some mailbox type thingy with the scripting code, but I'm not

      sure if it is a standard part.  A message board should be similarly easy to do,

      but some aging factor is needed (otherwise, you would have thousands of messages

      after some amount of time).  The script could actually make things interesting -

      as it ages, some words or letters randomly disappear, and after some age, the

      entire message vanishes.

Yes, on my server, mids.student.utwente.nl, I have coded several
extentions. There is a player to player mailing system, and there are
multiple, in game, messageboards. I don't do aging... cause almost
nobody uses it. This is probably because there aren't too many crossfire
players :)
The sourcecode is licensed under GPL and available on request.

Joris Bontje / mids
--
Gpg Key: Id=0xF19326A9 /

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/jbontje.pub

Key fingerprint = 730D 9B3A F406 F28A 957D 6397 31E8 6D4C F193 26A9