[CF List] wraight

Raphaël Quinet quinet at gamers.org
Tue Mar 5 07:01:08 CST 2002

On Mon, 04 Mar 2002 01:13:10 -0600, "Steven Lembark" <

     lembark at wrkhors.com

     > wrote:
>

      >  The idea of wraiths (and fireborns for that matter) eating food is a bit

      > odd - certainly if it is food of the same type as the other races.  You

      > could certainly see wraith's food to effectively be the lifeforce of

      > creatures they kill - doing that would require a bit of code

      > modification.

      Old idea: Wraiths (or Devourer followers) reduce the HP of

      anything around them, way w/in a 3x3 square area by issuing

      the create food prayer (or a modified version of it). If there

      is nothing animated nearby them then they are in deep trouble

      (perhaps the spell might trade mana for food). As a last,

      desparate ploy they can eat "normal" food but must consume

      10x more of it per Kcal to get any benefit.

They could use some mana (or a wand or a potion) to summon some pet/cult
monsters and then drain their life force.  If the pets die in the
process, summon some more and repeat until the wraith is not hungry
anymore.  That could be an interesting idea and it would balance the
fact that wraiths could not store food.  It would be fun to watch all
these suicidal pets following the player and entering the 3x3 square in
which they are slowly consumed by the wraith.

      >  Hard to say what a fireborns source of food should be - in theory

      > something like fire, or maybe flamable liquids (booze) at least?  Having

      > it fire would be a bit odd - it just means that the fireborn casts

      > fireball on itself to eat.  OTOH, that may give them a use for wands of

      > fireball and the like if they don't want to burn up their spellpoints to

      > do it.

      They could live on fire. Similar to handling of Wraiths,

      above. They get X Fp/turn by being in a flame. If they

      stand in front of a dragon they might never need to eat :-)

      Problem is that if you get hungry in a roomfull of treasure

      it can be a nasty choice...

I like this idea.  If you do not pay attention to your food supply and
you get hungry while you are far away from any source of fire, then
you will have to sacrifice some mana (and possibly some objects) in
other to get some fire.

[...]

      Another alternative is to say that fb and w's don't need

      "food" but "lifeforce". They basically live at zero fp

      forever and consume mana to survive. This means that if

      their SP goes to zero they begin to "starve". Their

      "food" would be existing restore mana potions and magic

      crystals (basically they'd store "food" by charging the

      thing before going into battle).

At first, I thought that it would be a very good solution, but now I
think that it would be hard to make that work.  The regen rate for
"lifeforce" would be (mana rate - food rate), but if the result is
negative then the player would have a hard time to get enough mana to
prepare for a battle.

-Raphael