[CF List] wraight (& fireborns)

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 6 12:00:48 CST 2002

      Henric Karlsson wrote:

      i wonder if those who claim fireborn are hard to play ever really played

      a fireborn. I made a fireborn character yesterday, devoted myself to

      gorokh and got flaming aura, with fireborns ability to get ac with

In the early levels, fireborn can be EASIER to play, because you
get a lot of mana and grace.  However, fireborn are hurt badly at
high levels because they cannot wear armour or use weapons,
and are thus denied all the protections these normally give.

The same is true of Quetzalcoatls:  they're hozed at high levels,
but strong at low levels.

Such are the tradeoffs of these two special races.

      another somehow absurd thing is mana regeneration increasing food

      consumption. I find it beeing in contradiction with the idea of

I don't consider this exactly absurd.  It's a bit strange, but it's
not so very unreasonable.  And it makes all those mana points
which get blown out cost the player something, which is good.

      magician, beeing strong in mind and usually weak in body; strong muscles

      consume lots of food, but strong mind consumes somewhat same as a weak

      mind. the stronger the magician is the more he needs to eat? I recall

      very few fantacy worlds where magicians are eating all the time,

      ususally they are described as spending more time with books while the

      barbarians and fighters eat and practice.

We have no obligation to follow everyone else's lead.  Furthermore, we
should not, or we're just reimplimenting the same damn game.  We should
only consider this issue in and of itself and its impact on the game.
I think it is a positive thing to require food use in order to regenerate
mana.

PeterM