[CF List] wraight (& fireborns)

Henric Karlsson henric at lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 7 08:19:03 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Kimmo Hoikka wrote:

      Henric Karlsson wrote:

      >I agree with PeterM in this case, fireborns are already hard to play as it

      >is, to have them hunt for non-existing fire doesn't improve that

      >situation.

      >But there is another issu why the food should remain, when you're about to

      >starve to death you "blindly grab for food" and as long as you carry some

      >kind of food you're ok for the moment. It's harder to blindly dive into

      >fire. This also apply to the wraith disscussion.

      >To go into battle with magic in the +10 and a nice regen rate and not

      >having a reliable food supply is a pain in the..

      i wonder if those who claim fireborn are hard to play ever really played

      a fireborn. I made a fireborn character yesterday, devoted myself to

      gorokh and got flaming aura, with fireborns ability to get ac with

Ok report back when you've killed Lorkas (and his minions), if you still
think fireborns are as easy to play as other races you win.

      levels and flaming aura as level 1 prayer (and very effective) you can

      go through raffle or some other skeleton+giant place and get to level

      12-14 with just praying and flaming and while getting the levels get an

Are you trying to say that fireborns are easy to play because flaming aura
is given at a too low level or that flaming aura is too powerful?

      ac high enough for most low level monsters to  be unable to hit you. you

      also get so high pow as a fireborn (I got 27 straight from the start)

Yes fireborns are easy to get to medium/high levels fast, but they still
are hard to play as soon as you face spell casting monster because they
can't get high resistances.

      almost all maps have fire or fire casting or breathing monsters, most

No, maps with fire breathers are not that common, in scorn there are? 2?
Spellcasters usually cast more spells than fire only, so I wouldn't depend
on them as a food source.

      apartments have fireplaces so I do not see finding fire as a problem,

They do? only fireplace I can think of is the one in Nurnberg which you
have to be a scolar of Kurte to access.

      the idea of Fireborn needing to live near fire is an interesting feature

      and it should be considered to be a neat detail, the consumption should

      not be a burden so that they should need to carry tons of scrolls and

Ok, here I agree completely and I should probably stop my complaints right
away, because I'm a little curious how it would acctually look like if
implemented. After all with the new dragon race there are 3 races that
can't use armour and both Q and fireborn are rather equal.

But I still think that the ability to store food that can be auto applied
is rather important, but maybe this drawback could be offset by some
sustenance bonus (if a motivation is needed, magic energy could be
considered a more effective way to store and use energy than food)

hmm, maybe dust/balms/potions with fire effects could be auto applied?

/Henric (Gambold)