[CF List] levels & exp

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Mar 31 22:57:10 CST 2002

Scott Barnes wrote:

      Okay, I just wanted to throw my two silver coins in :)

      I was playing iLarn today, and it occurred to me what the main problem

      with the experience issues and also just a fun factor, there aren't

      enough dungeons that follow the simple "start wussy and go down for

      about 20 or 30 floors, each one several levels harder than the one

      before."  I would personally love to see more maps like that.  For one,

      the quests in Scorn would make a good start for redesigning.  They're

      too short, too simple (or in some cases, like the quest for the special

      mushroom, too hard), and generally the floors of the dungeons are all

      around the same difficulty level, but they should start easy and get

      progressively harder.  The best example I know of from Crossfire itself

      would be the raffles or the power plant, though those progress too

      quickly and are far too short.  How about a cave or something that goes

      down about 20 floors (all random) and the monsters should start off with

      like kobolds and orcs, then get strong as the player moves down the

      floors, ending with an very strong monster (say, ancient red dragon) and

      a valuable artifact.  Well, that's just my opinion.  :)

 There are some very deep random dungeons.  The problems I have with some of
them is that since they only use 'standard' monsters, the difficulty can jump
pretty good.  The giant race dungeon comes to mind - you start with things like
ogres, then small trolls, hill giants, and then goes to trolls.  There is a
pretty big gap (I find) between the hill giant and trolls - I might be able to
slice my way through the hill giants without much trouble, but once the trolls
show it, it becomes quite difficult.

 The real solution is more dungeons.  I don't necessarily think that the entire
series should necessarily go from level 1 to 30 - by series, I mean something
like the set of quests you get in scorn.  Most of the good commercial games I
have played have good side quests to fill in some level and exp you may need.

 but realistically, the amount of maps in crossfire have not increased much in
recent time, and thats probably the bigger issue - having more maps, even if not
part of a larger quest, but rather something like 'there is a cool item at the
end of this (which the raffles basically are))' to fill in for more of the
levels would be most useful.