AW: [CF-Devel] Empty random maps, was: [CF-maps] smuggler quest broken

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Mon Nov 11 18:45:23 CST 2002

Yes, the "sleep 1" in all this monster arches is a kind of bug now.
In original "gauntlets" style, this sleep has some meaning, but
in crossfire today its a bug. It will break the rest of the monster
move commands logic.

Sadly, i have explained this some time ago, perhaps 2 years. But it
was ignored. Just browse the list archive about it, i think.

The other reason why mobs don't attack or stay is a bug in
get_nearest_player() in server/player.c.

The line
	while (QUERY_FLAG(ol->ob, FLAG_FREED) || !QUERY_FLAG(ol->ob,
FLAG_FRIENDLY)) {

is wrong. First, players are non-friendly objects (see login.c). So, after
some time,
they will be removed from this list - means, mobs who use this routine for
find a
target will not notice the player. This happens every time, when you got in
the server
log a "removed non friendly object...". Include a "%s\n", op->name" in the
log
message und you will see that the list kicks the players.

Simple change it to this:
while ((tag_t) ol->id != op->count || QUERY_FLAG(ol->ob, FLAG_REMOVED) ||
QUERY_FLAG(ol->ob, FLAG_FREED) || (!QUERY_FLAG(ol->ob, FLAG_FRIENDLY)&&
ol->ob->type != PLAYER)) {

btw, another bug is in the function draw(). Remove this function, its
unneeded. More
bad, this function update the LOS before it calls the map_draw routine which
updates
the map tiles again (and in the right order). But the draw call of the los
function
resets the update flags before the right calls - means all darkness LOS in
crossfire is broken since ages.

You can see this effect by entering the tower in Naval - the tower in the se
corner,
which is totally dark in. enter it, cast a firebolt and press space or apply
then on the door without moving. You will see that you will have LOS bugs in
the city shadows,
coming from the tower.

      Could this have anything to do with the Monsters sleeping post over on

      CF-Devel?

      Initial post:

      http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2002-Octobe

     r/003610.html

      "What I see, is that areas that used to be packed end-to-end with

      monsters, are now containing one or two, and a generator at the back of

      the room. Someone on IRC mentioned that this is due to the monsters

      sleeping, and blocking the generators."

      Followup post:

      http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2002-Octobe

     r/003622.html

"The bigger problem it solved is that monsters now sit still, so when you
get to the far side of a level (that isn't just a big chamber), the
monsters  are  still there, instead of all of them coming towards you at
the start of the  level."

"If an area is supposed to be packed full of monsters, then the map
maker should put those monsters in."

Just a thought...

- Rick Tanner

     leaf at real-time.com

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Preston Crow wrote:

      >> And I don't think the knight quest has been fixed in CVS yet.

      >  Just tried it out locally on my system (I'm presuming we're meaning the

     goblin

      >head quest) and it worked OK.

      >  However, there are perhaps issues with some of these maps - on an

     active

      >server, it is very possible that some of the world maps won't reset very

     often.

      It does work now, but the random levels are all essentially empty.  It

     used

      to be that they got progressively harder such that the last random level

      was about as difficult as the end map.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com