[CF-Devel] Re: New races and spells.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Nov 13 02:08:45 CST 2002

      I also like this idea - dwarf in clothes vs dwarf in armour vs dwarf in robe

      kind of thing as mentioned above.  This would be less work than an entire

      range of character/race faces.

      I was thinking for some time now that it would actually be really nice to

      get rid of the class faces and just use race face.  This would liven up the

      scenery a bit and it makes more sense that your race is obvious while your

      class may not be.  Class faces for each race would be ok, but it would be

      more work and it does not allow for the incognito factor - this would be

      especially neat for thieves to do away with class face.  - this wouldn't be

      to hard to do at all.

      The other other idea is neat though if we can get some good graphics.

  Well, it's not just a simple matter of 'dwarf wizard should have robes' type
of thing.  After all, pretty much any race/class can use any weapon and armor.

  that priest could use a sword and plate armor and look indistinguishable from
a fighter in terms of equipment.  Monk and wizards might look very much alike.

  But it really isn't possible to support all of those combinations  (how many
armor * weapon * race combinatins are there?  A lot ).

  If anything, since we tend to let players set their title, why not let players
set their faces (animations), within reason?

  A fireborn would be stuck with a fireborn.  A dragon would be stuck with a
dragon face.

  But any of the 'humanoid' races could have a selection to choose from.  This
could be as basic or complex as desired.    Player could choose face that they
feel best matches their character.  If desired (or someone submitted such
faces), this could get as trivial as just different colored clothing.

  There would have to be an 'approved' list from which the player could choose
from - you couldn't choose a 'blob' face for example.  And a player could choose
a face that doesn't really match their character (eg, choose an armored figured
even if they were nothing, or whatever else).  Players could re-choose as their
characters change.