[CF-Devel] #define's that I want to just kill outright

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Wed Nov 13 19:40:27 CST 2002

So an update on these. Please read.

If you are wondering why I've got my panties all in a bind about this stuff..
it really is becoming a serious mess.  There have been more than a few times
I've been knee deep in the code.. and completely lost by a maze of ifdefs that
don't even seem to be used anymore.  Alot of these had meaning at one point,
when they might have been buggy... but never got cleaned up.  They will just
keep piling up unless we do something about them.

Unless nobody objects.. the following are going to die and become default.

       * USE_SWAP_STATS - allows stat swapping for new characters

        NO_AUTO_SKILL_SWITCH: /* To be removed soon (setable by player) */

These.. I think require some discussion:

        WALL_CREDIT: players earn exp for killing with summon fog.

        Didn't even realize that exists.

Apparently, if you build a bulletwall, or cast summon fog.  You don't get any
exp for what it kills.  If you turn on WALL_CREDIT, you do.  I believe we
should just turn it on.. But I'd like to hear either way.  If people are really
divided on it, then I'll option it as a setting.

       * NO_CONE_PROPOGATE - makes cone spells stop at the first monster

        It works, I don't know if anyone uses it - makes things a lot more

      difficult for spellcasters.

Does anyone want this to stay?  If not.. I say we nuke it.

SECURE  is there any reason to keep this?  Is it that unreasonable that the
person who executes the server might want to change the libdir?  I think this
comes from a time when players actually played on a physical machine, owned by
someone.  I say we turn it on, and pull the ifdefs out.

MULTIPLE_GODS - adds numerous gods to the game, with different powers
As far as I'm concerned.. this is the default now.. and should just stay that
way.

DUMP_SWITCHES - is there any reason NOT to compile these in?  Again, I think
this goes back to the old days.. where people shared a machine.

ENABLE_CHECKSUM/USE_CHECKSUM - This should either be the default, or not the
default.  I don't care which, but my gut instinct is to nuke the checksum.  If
a DM wants to run around editing his players.  let him.  If a person wants to
play at home and cheat.  let him.

MORE_PRIEST_GIFTS- I'm pretty sure this is off by default.  Nuke it?  turn it
on?

*_DEBUG_* stuff-  Lots of defines to make lots of noise debugging various
things.  I think DEBUG is on by default, but the various other ones are not.
Perhaps we should have an levExtremeDebug and just nuke all the ifdefs.  Or we
could assume that the bugs are worked out of these, and nuke them..

PLUGINS - I think this define should go.  If it compiles without Python libs,
it should just be the default.

LOSSY_ALCHEMY- Looks like this modifies the alchemy spell. It's off by
default.. I don't think gold nuggets are a significant form of abuse.  I say
vaporize it.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net