[CF-Devel] Alchemy thoughts

Bernd Edler edler at heydernet.de
Thu Nov 14 11:24:02 CST 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Mark Wedel wrote:

        But when I thought about this, I thought about refining alchemy more.  So here

      is my idea:

        Instead of the 'recipe' structure, put the formula into an object structure.

      Some fields may need to get overloaded (or additional ones added to the object

      structure) - fields I see (parens are current name in recipe file)

      other_arch (arch): was this formula creates

      nrof (yield): max number this can create

      recipe treasurelist (chance) - likelihood of formula appearing in books -

          basically, make a treasurelist of all the recipes that you want to randomly

          appear, and when a recipe book is made, it uses that to choose one

      msg (ingred): Recipe (ingredients) for this.

      is_used_up (trans): Converts an existing object as the base object

      slaying (keycode): player must have force with matching slaying field to make

           this recipe

      New fields as far as recipes:

      exp: How much exp you get for making this item

      level: 'level' of the recipe - basic value to determine probability of making

      this recipe.  Eg, when you make it, it rolls a d20 and adds your alchemy level -

      this has to be higher than the level of the recipe for you to succeed.  In this

      way, you could set up recipes that require a reasonable amount of exp to make.

I'd like to have an additional value defining the minimum amount of items.
Thus we could give a range for the yield.

If i want a formula for e.g. arrows of something to produce 20 on average,
i would rather have a range of 15-25 then 1-40.

I think, getting only one potion/arrow out of a recipe is as frustating as
a spell that backfires. You go hunting/questing for that rare ingredient
and finally you get it but you only find 3 arrows in your cauldron.

If you can cange the odds in you favour with a high alchemy skill, then
forget what i said. (Last time i checked, it did not.)

So a minimum amount would make alchemy more reliable/useful imho.

Bernd Edler

----
"This is supposed to be fun."