[CF List] New experience system on metalforge

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 7 23:48:16 CDT 2002

Frank Muzzulini wrote:

      Now how is it on metalforge: Now you need more and more exp to get to

      new levels, until you reach level 100 at nearly 1 billion exp, then

      for some strange reason you are 110 in no time. At the same time

      however you notice that single skills max out at 350 million and level

      79. Now 79 is surely as artificial as it was before and it is a sever

      downgrade for expierenced high level chars. Not to forget level 79

      physical let's you use only 20 weapon enhancements, so many of us

      won't be able to use their personal weapons any more.

  I don't know why going from level 100 to 110 should be really quick - that is
an oddity - the curve keeps getting steeper at those levels, so it shouldn't happen.

  I agree that not being able to use your personal weapons is a bummer.  Note in
any case, I don't have any qualms about new players only being able to enchant
their weapon 20 times and not 26.  Life changes.  It would be stupid to put some
limitation that basically says no new code can weak players.  Considering that a
lot of stuff has been added over time that makes characters more powerful, there
is some give and take on that.

  I note that the level 79 max for skills isn't truly a limit - it is only a
limit if you want 6 skills maxed out.  If you decide to purely focuse on one
skill, you can get it to level 110.  If you split your exp between 2 skills,
they both can be 100.  Split between three skills is level 93.

  I will also note that if your purely focus on one skill and make it level 109,
you can still get all your other skills to level 55 or so.

  I personally do not have any problem with those restrictions - this new system
forces you to put some focus on your character.  Do you want to be the best
fighter in the world?  Fine, but your not going to be the best magician at the
same time.

  At some point, weapons you can use, number enchantments, and all that is going
to get redone.  No matter what skill you focus on, you sort of need to be able
to get improved weapons - this also discourages focusing on one skill (basically
means everyone needs physical simply to be able to enchant their weapons).  At
some point, the item power stuff will get balanced out, and you'll perhaps be
able to enhant more than just your weapon, but you will have some limit on what
you can equip based on the total item power of your items.

  Thus, you could make a really awesome enchanted weapon, but if you want to use
it, your not going to be able to wear all your other awesome items at the same time.