[CF-Devel] monsters don't attack / blinding code

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Sep 5 06:29:42 CDT 2002

I have noticed that with today's CVS, most monsters
act like they were unagressive.

Just enter the newbie tower in scorn for example.
The kobolds just stand there and don't attack the player
unless he attacks them first.
Only monsters comming out of generators seem to behave
right as they instantly start to attack.

I guess there is some flaw in the recent changes for
monsters "sensing" players. Note that exactly the same
bug appeared last time it was tried to make monsters
go agressive only when players are in proper range.
Dunno if that is coincidence.

Second thing I'd like to mention is the changes about
blinding code. Now that almost any monster can be affected
by it, blinding attack has become immensly powerful.
A blinded monster does hit back when it is attacked, but
at a minor rate it seems. And as soon as you step away,
the blinded monster stops to attack at all.

So, one thing that could be improved IMO, is that blinded
monsters still use their full force of melee attack,
whenever a player stands next to them ("touching the monster").
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how easy it would be to
implement that. I suspect the reason why monsters get
"weaker" when blinded could be that they regularly loose
track of where the player is.

Besides, when the system is meant to stay as it is,
I would like to sprinkle some blinding immunities among
the high level monsters (dragons, big demons etc).
Does anyone have objections to this?

AndreasV