[CF-Devel] monsters don't attack / blinding code

Kurt Fitzner kf_bulk at excelcia.org
Thu Sep 5 13:37:23 CDT 2002

On 05-Sep-2002 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I have noticed that with today's CVS, most monsters

      act like they were unagressive.

The blinding code, from what I can tell, does nothing except reduce the
range to see your opponent.  It drops it down to MIN_MON_RADIUS, which is 3.
I'm not sure if, for multichar oponents, this is calculated from their
'origin' or from the nearest tile to you.  You all would know that code better
than I.

The bug in the blinding code I mentioned earlier wasn't with the blinding code,
it was with the range to see code in general.  Essentially, it make every
monster on a map able to see any player - check_wakeup() always returned a 1.

With the see radius being based on the monster wisdom, any monster with a low
wisdom will act like it can't see you until you get within 3 squares.

      Second thing I'd like to mention is the changes about

      blinding code. Now that almost any monster can be affected

      by it, blinding attack has become immensly powerful.

      A blinded monster does hit back when it is attacked, but

      at a minor rate it seems. And as soon as you step away,

      the blinded monster stops to attack at all.

Not so different with paralysis, or confusion.

I can't see any code anywhere that would affect the attack speed of a blinded
monster.  I do notice when I walk around in large maps, that I don't have the
big fight at the stairs followed by walking around a deserted level.  I
encounter monsters scattered through the level, and they attack me as per
normal.

      I suspect the reason why monsters get

      "weaker" when blinded could be that they regularly loose

      track of where the player is.

If the player is withing 3 squares and just hacking away, the monster won't
loose track of you even if blind.

      Besides, when the system is meant to stay as it is,

      I would like to sprinkle some blinding immunities among

      the high level monsters (dragons, big demons etc).

      Does anyone have objections to this?

You'll need to sprinkle more in than now exist.  Dragons, and monsters that
don't 'see' or particularly need to see (good sense of smell).  I've never
been fond  of resist_anything 100, though.  But at least with resist_blind,
you won't get a message that you blind something and have it simply not work.