[CF-Devel] Entrance square not checked

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Sep 5 22:46:47 CDT 2002

     pstolarc at theperlguru.com

      wrote:

      On Thu, 05 Sep 2002, Kurt Fitzner wrote:

      This is due to the fact that runes and other squares are walk_on 1.

      Teleporters and exits and town portal &c. don't trigger walk_on 1.  I think

      this may be desired behaviour.  Unfortunately, this opens the server up to

      some weirdness, such as:

  Not sure if walk/fly on not working when using an exit is desired or not.

  For some exits, it is sort of clear that the character would be walking or
flying to the destination (eg, stairs).  Things let teleporters may not
literally get walked on.

  I notice the code explicitly calls insert_ob_in_map () with the no walk on
parameter.

  As I think about this, this may be to prevent infinite 'hopping' back and
forth between exits.

  EG, I use an invis exit.  That exit puts me on top of another invis exit.  If
the walk_on check was done, that invis exit would bounce me back to the
original, and so on.  Not a good thing.

<snip>

      The levitation thing also works in reverse.  Levitate to a rune trapped

      square.  Float down.  Stand on the rune trapped square without triggering

      it.

  I'm not too concerned with these issues.  If that rune trapped square in that
second case has something important on it the player isn't supposed to get
without triggering the rune, the rune could have fly_on 1 set.

  Dealing with the issues of players mucking with small buttons isn't a very big
deal IMO either.  A player can just as easily always keep the button depressed
by dropping some items on it.

  I suppose it is a bit od.  I suppose it may be possible to do a walk_off/fly
on check when player puts on boots.  However, this could result in extra damage
for the character if there is some bad effect on it that only happens when you
enter, not when you stand still.