[CF-Devel] Entrance square not checked

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Sep 6 11:32:20 CDT 2002

Kurt Fitzner wrote:

      I haven't checked in CVS, but I noticed that with 1.3,

      the square I pop into a map at, or teleport to, don't

      get checked for signs or runes. [...]

Note that this is "common behaviour" even if it seems a bit
odd. It has been in place long before version 1.3.

Sure that system could be improved, for example by
adding a "teleport_on" flag in addition to "walk/fly_on".

However, I think the current system is not so bad.
As mapmaker I have frequently stumbled over the problem
that I wanted to teleport players onto a button.
Anyways, there's workarounds for that stuff.
To continue above example: Teleport player onto
a mover which then pushes the player on the button -
results in the button getting pressed.

Changing the behaviour of walk_on/fly_on is something
I would not recommend. Apart from problems like auto-apply-
exits pointing onto each other, as Mark pointed out,
it is outright dangerous to change these "fundamental"
rules in server behaviour. When these parts of the code
get only *touched*, most likely a large number of maps
go broke in that instant.

Picture this: A few years ago, about 50% of the pupland
maps were either broken or inaccessible. And all of that
was only due to marginal changes in the way buttons were
processed by the server.

AndreasV

     http://www.gmx.net