[CF-Devel] Various exp refinements.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Sep 25 22:32:53 CDT 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 25-Sep-02

      pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net

       wrote:

     If a player killing another player had no negative impact on the dead

     character, then when you get in trouble, have someone else kill you before

     the monster does.

      If you can plan out having someone else kill you at the right time.. why

      couldn't you have just avoided death?  I mean.. usually I don't know I'm doomed

      long enough in advance to tell anyone a complex scheme of how they need to off

      me.  Usually, it's a complete surprise, or preceeded by .5 seconds of panic.

      However.. The idea of "you can slaughter eachother with no penalties" does

      bring up a more evil thought.

      Lets say I wanted to be a PITA to newbies.  So I run around following them, and

      kill them back to the inn every time they step outside of town.  It doesn't

      affect them.. just that they never get anywhere.  You could also kill someone

      back to the inn who was doing an area you wanted to play in, to get them out of

      the way.

  Note that if the player is a real newby (just came from the hall of
selection), currently killing him has no real negative impact, as he doesn't
have any experience to use.

  I didn't mention this, but I did figure that if a player was killed, he'd
still get depleted in whatever stats.  That probably isn't a very big penalty at
high levels (you have the money, so the cost of potion of life probably isn't a
really big deal).

  Note that the player who killed the other player does lose a point of luck,
which will have some effects.

  Perhaps a more clever approach would be to record the number of players
another player has killed (in the player object itself) - if above some number,
assume it is an abusive pk'er, and add additional penalties (ideally, there
would be some aging to this, eg, killing 10 players over the course of playing
for 8 months isn't nearly so bad as if you killed 5 players in a single day, but
to enforce that/prevent people from easily fooling that would be tricky).

  Now I suppose you could make killing another player result in not as heavy as
a loss for the player killed (instead of the 20%, maybe 5% or a max of 1 level
or something?).

  I'm not sure that if there was no exp gain/loss for killing players if it
would change behaviour much - I don't think a bunch of people who are currently
not pker's will become ones on the basis of 'there really isn't a penalty'.  It
seems that generally, pker's are there just to be annoying.