[CF List] Re: Improved invis spell and stealing skill broken in newest cvs?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Sep 2 02:12:43 CDT 2002

Erhard Sanio wrote:

     Wyverns have 'see invisible', so its not too surprising invisibility

      doesn't

     work on them.

      This ist true, but only for bright rooms, or dark rooms when a fireball,

      a torch or something similar is ignited. In dark rooms, wyverns don't

      see you when you have improved invisibility (they lack infravision afaik),

      so yo may pass or even hit them.

  This may have been broken before, but it appears the new (as well as old) code
was such that if a creature has see invisible, they ignore darkness.

  Obviously, this portion of the code now works properly.

  This probably goes on the basis that the creature does not have a magical
ability to see invisible, but rather keen senses to hear/smell where you are.

      Well true. That's why improved invis only works on a limited number of

      maps. It is a pity anyway that it is brokenr.

  Well, I tried it on latest CVS and it seemed to work in my limiting testing.
But I only tested against wimpy monsters (orcs/goblins).

      Right. Maybe the handful of CF players adapt to the punishment somehow,

      the fact remains it hits them, not the network operators. Much worse,

      without access to homepage and metaserver it will be hard if not

      impossible to motivate new players.

  I can't really comment on the specifics, as I didn't set up the block - I'm
only repeating what I have heard from Bob Tanner on irc (Rick might also have
provided information).

  My understanding is that many sites from the german netblock were performing a
DDOS against the real-time sites.  This was the cause of the long mail delay a
few weeks back.  The obvious problem is that without the block, no one can get
to the metaserver or other crossfire information.

  I'd have to say that if I was in a similar situation, I would do the same thing.

  I'm not sure what a workable solution would be - perhaps the most realistic
would be a mirror of the information someplace else.