[CF-Devel] Ideas for interplayer competition

Sun Aug 3 12:16:00 CDT 2003

Le Samedi 02 Août 2003 09:23, Tim Rightnour a écrit :

      Som ideas I've had for a little interplayer competition.  Consider this a

      proposal, and something I am likely to do unless people blaspheme about it.

      1)  New stat: "Appearance".  This stat will reflect your physical

      appearance. The stat will probably be rolled at player creation, to be

      between 1 and 20. The stat will max out at about 1000, but with no set

      limit.  Appearance can be modified by wearing different types of items, in

      different combinations.  Most likely the programming for this will consist

      of a complex set of conditions, that give scores to certain combinations of

      equipment.  A specific list of "what is best" will not be drawn up, rather,

      the engine will be set in place, and tuned to the point where it is self

      sustaining, and somewhat unpredictable. The basic rules will be that

      accenting materials, or matching materials can give a bonus, item value

      will play a role, things like Chr bonuses, etc.  The score can be used to

      determine how shopkeepers react to the player, and for a top 10 list,

      players can compete on.

Looks to me like charism, but more specific to top models immitating. Quiet
interresting, but are players interrested in standing at the top 10 glamour
characters?

      2)  New stat: "Fame".  Fame will be another open-ended stat, where players

      can accumulate points in it.  Things such as becoming a noble of scorn,

      solving certain quests, level, time spent online, etc etc can all

      contribute to your fame score.  Initially, your fame will primarily be a

      competive stat, with a top 10 board.  But eventually it could be used in

      shops, and in things like gaining followers, etc.  (maybe you need to be

      famous to start your own guild)

Interresting too but this would mean modifying some quest to update those
stats.
 I don't think fame should be used in shops or perhaps not in the way you may
think. For myself, when i see someone famous coming in my shops, with cameras
nearby, i will be glad to increase prices by 500% or 2000% since, this is the
kind of guy having money and who wouldn't refuse to pay in front of cameras.

      3)  Score stat.  Unlike the current system, where score is your exp, a new

      score stat will be developed.  You gain score points by doing specific

      things. For example, killing a monster, 1 pt.  Solving a quest, 100-5000

      points. gaining a level, level*100 points, killing a player accidentally,

      -500 points, killing yourself accidentally, -50 points..  Perhaps even

      re-entering the hall-of-selection to start your character over, gives you a

      big bonus if you do so above level 108.  In this way, score can be a

      meaninful representation of your accomplishments in the game, and the top10

      scoreboard will show something other than 10 people who are currently at

      max exp.  Players can continue to accumulate a score even when reaching the

      topmost level.

not sure about usefulness ofthis, but a try is needed to be fixed on it. Again
giving score for quest accomplishment may need to do some mapmaking to take
into account this (and be carefull only on guy can solve a quest at the time,
to easy to enter a map cleared by a big player and then 'solve the quest')

      These ideas are mostly fleshed out in my head.. at a basic level.

Fix them better before applying. Just to prevent some disaster. Put on paper
all you want to do exactly, influence on game play, what would be the rules,
aso.

       The

      specifics of implementation aren't fully fleshed out, but none of these

      seem particularly difficult to implement.  Ideas/criticisims welcome.  If

      fame and appearance work out, perhaps Charisma can be phased out.

No, i don't think. As i see your thing, fame and appeareance is only a 'per
player basis' (may be a monthly vote for mister & miss crossfire?). This
shouldn't remove cha, since cha, in my mind, is not only fame and appearence,
but also some kind of aura around you. Someone ugly, mentally deficient can
have good cha, thought he couldn't acheive quest or find beautifull clothes.
Simply, people around him are showing pity, or like him for his stupidness.
CHA is more than fame of appeareance i think.

      If

      anyone wants to tackle one of these, contact me off-list.

      ---

      Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net

      NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS

      http://www.netbsd.org/

      NetBSD supported hardware database:

      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi

One last thing, if you implement this, could you do this in an optionnal way,
in a plugin? So this is easy to choose if you want them or not. Plugins were
needed, in the begining to add optionnal things to server or to change, on a
test basis, server behaviour without interfering with CVS mainstream.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com