[CF-Devel] two new small additions

Thu Aug 7 09:02:45 CDT 2003

      > Personally I can't see any reason that the peaceful flag shouldn't be

      > applied to (direct) ranged combat as well.

        I'm all for making it more difficult for players to accidentally kill

     other

      players.

      One reason it was done for melee attacks originally is because of how

     quickly

      one can get killed by another player with such attack.

It would be nice if ranged attacks from a peaceful player were to have a
greatly reduced chance to do damage rather than doing no damage so that you
would still have to be somewhat careful and not just leap infront of another
players line of fire.  Something like if the object owner is peaceful then
there is a chance (10 or 20%?) the object will hit you.   This way you still
don't want to get in the way, but it isn't so likely that you will get
killed by accident.   Another option is a cap on damage so that objects
owned by a peaceful player cannot drop your hp below 5% or some such.
I am not sure about area effects like fireballs, but something could be
worked out anyway.  A system for friendly fire (including some dice rolls,
variability for different attack types and even critical hits) shouldn't be
too hard to do since you have to track object ownership for XP, no?
I think this would help multiplayer games out a bit without streaching the
game fabric too much - players are pretty lethal to hang out with.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com