[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Features suggestions: 'mail' box & blackboard

Mon Aug 11 06:39:43 CDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:22:32AM +0200, tchize wrote:

      What happens if a player decide to disconnect after locking worthless items

      while other player has put an excalibur for trade?

      And what if they don't agree and a player refuse to pull again first lever to

      take back items?

They pull the first level again and take the items back?

The design is quite simple:

-------------+---+---+-------------
             |   |   |
      P1  L1 / T1|T2 \ L2 P2
          L3 | D2|D1 | L4
             |   |   |
-------------+---+---+-------------

-, | & + = walls. \ and / are doors.

Player 1 (P1)  puts the objects at T1, then pulls L1 which closes his
door.
Player 2 (P2) puts the objects at T2, then pulls L2 which closes her
door.

They both inspect the items. If they like them, they pull L3 & L4
which transfers the objects to D2 and D1.

When T1 & T2 is empty, the levers are reset and the doors open.

If they don't agree, they pull L1 or L2 and their door opens (unless
a transfer is in progress already), L3 & L4 is reset.

I think raffles 2 has something like this, but only for "safe" one way
teleportation, but its design can probably be extended.

_BUT_ I think that one should think about how this affects the game
play first though. Not every cool feature is good for the games
feeling, there are always consequences.

It is often said that CF is a RPG game, but player to player interaction
is quite limited and one's interaction with NPCs is mostly carried out
with a weapon in hand. Not much roleplaying going on. I don't think
this change would enhance roleplaying, quite the opposite if it were
added to the client and I'm not thrilled about a map implementaiton
either. In RL(tm), there is no such thing as a safe trade nor should
there be one in a virtual world IMO. It just reduces the immersion to
the point of making you think you're accessing a SQL server. The best
one can do is to have a trusted third party that helps you (ie find
another player you both trust), you can pay half in advance and half
afterwards or you'll have to take your chances (perhaps allow the
other player to PK you if you try to fool them).

And what's the problem really? If someone wants to take advantage of
you, don't deal with them anymore. Tell others about them.
Its not like it is the end of the game if someone fooled you of your
shimmering turban or that chaos sword. If you managed to get it once,
it is probably easier to get it the next time.

/Sebastian

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com