[CF-Devel] Fun feature to do, maybe difficult...

Wed Aug 27 23:59:29 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      It's true we more often see maps hard for wizards but easier for

      warriors... As far as i know you can kill any monster with physical

      attacks, but some are pretty hard to kill with magic...

      Maybe forbidding the use of attack cone/heal spell is indeed too nasty...

      On the other hand I'm pretty sure we could do nice maps if town portal &

      word of recall could be disabled. Imagine that, you enter a long quest,

      and can't exit it until you complete it totally.... Yes it'd be nasty,

      but as the game is, any time you are in danger you can either word of

      recall or town portal out of harm's way. Also you can stop quests when

      you want... now a map you couldn't exit, that'd be a real challenge, no?

  Perhaps.  OTOH, there are lots of ways to make maps hard.  The more difficult
thing is to make them harder but still playable.

  A long map which you had no way to get back to down probably won't get played
that much.  I'd probably never play such a map - I wouldn't want to get stuck
playing such a map.  And even then, it is basically impossible to do as you say
- if you die, you'd get out of that map (although, a more costly mechanism).
But other case would be just kill the client and return tomorrow - map will have
been reset, so you'd get put back at your home location.

  The word of recall has a time factor, so isn't an instant way to safe your
life.  At one arguement, which is probably quite true, is that if you have time
enough to react to do something like word of recall or town portal, why not just
drink that potion of healing?

  Probably a more interesting way to make difficult maps is set a zero reset
time for them (As well as swap out time).  No more beating down that big tough
monster, exiting back up to heal some, going down and do so again - map would
reset, so monster would always be at full strength when you fight it.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com