[CF-Devel] Fun feature to do, maybe difficult...

Thu Aug 28 08:04:46 CDT 2003

Along the quest idea... I just read about this being done in UltimaX:Online,
so bear with me...

Wouldn't it be interesting for quest dungeons to be "nearly static" per
group that enters.  Let's say that a timer goes off when a character enters
the dungeon and allow for n seconds for others to enter the dungeon.  Then
the server saves a copy of the dungeon for each group of characters and
resets.  The characters in that "group" would all have the same map to work
with until they leave the dungeon.  When the characters leave the dungeon, a
flag could be set if they finished the quest.  If the quest is finished,
then they would not be allowed in the dungeon again [ landslide covers the
entrance or something ].  I know the idea's just a jumble; but I hope y'all
understand it. :D
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas Weeger" <

     nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

To: <

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] Fun feature to do, maybe difficult...

      > A long map which you had no way to get back to down probably won't get

      > played that much. I'd probably never play such a map - I wouldn't want

      > to get stuck playing such a map. And even then, it is basically

      > impossible to do as you say - if you die, you'd get out of that map

      > (although, a more costly mechanism). But other case would be just kill

      > the client and return tomorrow - map will have been reset, so you'd

      > get put back at your home location.

      One solution i had for that would be to put beds during that long

      quest... so people can save their character. Of course, if after saving

      they die, and die, and lose too many levels to be able to complete the

      quest, that's an issue....

      > The word of recall has a time factor, so isn't an instant way to safe

      > your life. At one arguement, which is probably quite true, is that if

      > you have time enough to react to do something like word of recall or

      > town portal, why not just drink that potion of healing?

      When you are middle or high-level in wisdom, WoR is pretty fast. At

      really high levels, like >90, it's almost instant. So it is sometimes a

      good way to exit fast. As for drinking a potion of healing, sometimes

      you find yourself in situations where you'd have to drink two or three

      at once to survive, right? So in some cases it is imo more interesting

      to flee completely :-)

      > Probably a more interesting way to make difficult maps is set a zero

      > reset time for them (As well as swap out time). No more beating down

      > that big tough monster, exiting back up to heal some, going down and

      > do so again - map would reset, so monster would always be at full

      > strength when you fight it.

      That is an interesting idea. The trouble, of course, would be that you

      defeat the big boss, exit the map, reenter - et voilà, boss is back...

      We could imagine needing a key to access the big boss, but again that

      implies that you must get the key each time you wish to enter the final

      boss map, so the map containing the key must also have a reset/swap time

      of zero (else no point of zero reset time for boss's map).... so you'd

      end up making much xp like that, no?

      Just my 2 cents of €

      Nicolas 'Ryo'

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com