[CF-Devel] Artifact & subtype question (to know how to fix broken build patch...)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Dec 13 19:05:01 CST 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
you are building (floor, wall, other items).

      Also, from your comment I think I wasn't clear enough: the question is,

      rather, would it be bad if an artifact could override the archetype's

      subtype (using the 'subtype' in artifact, as weight/title/stats can be

      overriden)? You just need to NOT use this field for most items, and

      it'll make it easier for my building patch :)

  Yes, that would be bad.

  Perhaps I wasn't clear.

  My main concern is this:

  currently the 'type' value in the artifacts file is a matching criteria.
Thus, this object:

Allowed all
chance 1
Object Blindness
type 34
is_blind 1
magic 1
cursed 1
end

  Basically says only objects of 'type 34' can possible match on this artifact.

  Suppose down the road, I wand to do something like:

type 34
subtype 3

  To say 'if object type is 34, and subtype is 3, make this an artifact'.

  If 'subtype' is used as an attribute of the artifact taht it imbues on the
object, this is impossible (having it be a matching as well as assigning value
makes no sense).

  And I certainly see the potential need for subtype to act as a match operator
in the future.

      Actually, problem occurs (in my building case) because I implemented

      different 'instances' of material using artifacts, not archetypes. I

      thought 'they all share some fields, like type & stuff, so i'll make a

      global ''virtual'' archetype and different artifacts'.

      Now of course I can reimplement using different archetypes for different

      materials, instead of one archetype and different artifacts (would

      remove the need for my treasure.c hack)

  IMO, that is preferable.  I personally don't like the artifacts file that
much, so anything that can easily be done as an archetype instead of an object
is preferable in my mind.

       Arguably, the artifact stuff could be done better (have some area

      which lists what to match against, and another area which lists what

      to set).

       However, at some level, I'd just rather the artifact file disappear

      or otherwise get completely redone.

      Couldn't we use something like what is used for archetypes?

      Add .art files that get collected by a script to make artifact file?

  I'll send my thoughts about artifacts (and how to properly redo) in a
different message/thread.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com