[CF-Devel] Dragon claws & attack types

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Dec 25 07:53:00 CST 2003

Hi,

As I've written some of the original dragon code,
a few words I wanna add - even though most of it has already been said.

I think the dragon code "bugs" mentioned were caused by the changes of
the new skill system. While that may be obvious, it should explain
why some behaviour of the dragon code now looks strange or even wrong.

The code was never of extraordinary quality, I apologize for that,
but it seemed the best way to do it at the time.
The reason for multiple archtypes working together for the functionality
of the dragon code lies in the donation-mechanism which is based
on treasurelists, and the race attributes based on skill forces.

The challenge behind this was that the dragon code is specialized
code, as a fact. Opposed to that, the CF server is supposed to be
generic. It would be possible to simplify the dragon code more by
rooting it more concretely into the code (which has already happened
to a certain degree anyways), and reducing some of the archetype-logic.
OTOH, from design perspective we strive for the latter and not the first.

      Now the one thing I do see that seems odd is that the attacktype of

      the new clawing ability is or'd with the existing attacktype.

      That would seem to mean that a dragon character could attack with

      fire, ice, poisoning, and electricity all with the claw attack.

      That seems wrong to me, so I'll fix that up.

As others have said, or'd attacktypes are intended behaviour,
and I plead not to remove this.

Dragons cannot wield weapons, that's how it was supposed to be.
Warriors are able to collect artifact weapons, and thus attack
with multiple attacktypes. A number of three or four attacktypes
per weapon is about normal here.

Therefore, it seems only fair to me that dragons be able to
accumulate attacktypes on their claws. Remember that dragon players
have to gain levels in order to accomplish this. To get all
attacktypes, quite a high level is needed (There is no reward for
regaining lost experience, you really have to climb the ladder).
If that is not enough, the treasurelists could be adjusted to grant
attacktypes at even higher levels. I'm not sure if that is required
though.

AndreasV

Neu: Preissenkung für MMS und FreeMMS!

     http://www.gmx.net