[CF-Devel] Dragon claws & attack types

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Dec 25 15:16:19 CST 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      The challenge behind this was that the dragon code is specialized

      code, as a fact. Opposed to that, the CF server is supposed to be

      generic. It would be possible to simplify the dragon code more by

      rooting it more concretely into the code (which has already happened

      to a certain degree anyways), and reducing some of the archetype-logic.

      OTOH, from design perspective we strive for the latter and not the first.

  Specialized code is always necessary at some level - there is no real problem
with it - it does sometimes create bugs, OTOH, it can sometimes avoid bugs.

  The one thing, looking at the code, that is too hardcoded for my liking is the
determination of when to grant abilities (basically, every 5 levels, you get one
of the abilities on the treasurelist, in the order they are given).

  This means for example that you can't easily say 'well, at level 3, he should
get this special ability, level 12 this one, etc'.  It is basically level 5, 10,
15 (relative to focus)

  It'd probably make more sense to use some of the other fields in the
treasurelist to denote when to get the ability.  Eg, use the 'magic' field
(using existing abilities - ignoring the other thread about improved
treasurelists) on when to get an ability.

  Thus, the existing treasurelists can be maintained by just putting 'magic
5/10/15' in the list.  But one could add new ability at lower levels. if one
wanted, without upsetting anything else.

  The other thing that could be done is add a new skill, like 'dragon ability'
or something, and that is where exp from clawing things to death goes.  But you
culd then also use that skill for the special spells they get, and exp from
those spells also goes to that skill.

      As others have said, or'd attacktypes are intended behaviour,

      and I plead not to remove this.

  I'll put that back.  It just seems odd that something could attack with fire
and cold at the some moment, but we'll ignore that detail.

  Going with the above thoughts about a 'dragon ability' type skill, one could
see having the different attacktype skills broken apart.  Eg, if you want to
fire claw something to death, you ready the fire clawing skill.  OTOH, that
probably just makes it too much busy work on the part of the player to ready the
different skill.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com