[CF-Devel] Dragon claws & attack types

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Dec 26 07:22:25 CST 2003

      > The one thing, looking at the code, that is too hardcoded for

      > my liking is the determination of when to grant abilities

      > (basically, every 5 levels [...]

      > It'd probably make more sense to use some of the other

      > fields in the treasurelist to denote when to get the ability.

      > Eg, use the 'magic' field (using existing abilities - ignoring

      > the other thread about improved treasurelists) on when to

      > get an ability.

I agree, that would be an improvement.

      > The other thing that could be done is add a new skill, like

      > 'dragon ability' or something, and that is where exp from

      > clawing things to death goes.  But you culd then also use that

      > skill for the special spells they get, and exp from

      > those spells also goes to that skill.

Yeah, that's a good point. In the old skill system that wouldn't
have made much difference as the exp would probably have gone into
the physical cathegory anyways - but now things are different.
A dragon ability skill could make sense now.

      What could be done would be let a dragon use only one attacktype

      (poison/fire/cold/electricity) at the same time, but select it

      automatically - like, first attacks are poison to poison the

      opponent, then fire or cold or electric based on the resistances.

      This way you don't have all attacktypes at the same time as now,

      but you don't force the player to switch between all modes.

When I recall correctly this would make no big difference.
Having multiple attacktypes at once effectively means the
best one strikes. The only exception AFAIK are the "special"
effect attacktypes of which only poison is available to dragons.

Apart from that, I believe that such things should better be done
in the attack logic directly, instead of making the players'
hands magically do something. Arrows are somewhat of an
exceptional case, because selecting arrows is something everyone
would expect is done by hand.

Finally, looking at artifact weapons, many of them got multiple
attacktypes (plus one extra for god blessing). Admittedly fire
and cold is an especially weird combination, but I think there
should be no harm in it. Ruggilli blessings on a frostbrand are
possible too.

AndreasV

Neu: Preissenkung für MMS und FreeMMS!

     http://www.gmx.net