[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Tue Jul 1 13:08:13 CDT 2003

     I just had an evil thought.  If we are going to remove per tile elevations,

     we don't really need a per map value either.  For big world, we just need

     to specify that the border between ocean and land is at elevation zero, and

     calculate from there across the world.

     I didn't think of the sea level.  I was trying to address the idea of
realtivity in the arch elevations.   Per map elevation lets you easily
set up a base elevation map to plot things from anyway.  All forests
should not be between 1000 and 3000 ft, all swamps shouldn't be near
sealevel.  If you have ever gone outside you know this is not the case.
But you bring up a neat question, what if the map elevation is set to
20000 but all the arches on the map are deep ocean?

     LOS really should use elevation information.  Stand on the north side of a

     mountain, to the south all you can see is the side of the mountain one tile

     away.  To the north you should be able to see a great distance.  Unless you

     are also standing in the middle of a forest off course B-).

     Elevation and LOS would be neat, but the visible map is pretty small for
this to really pay off don't you think?

     As far as what the elevation stuff is in, when I first did it, I was

     thinking feet.  While it would be fine to describe it as whatever, I

     think

     it would be useful as developers to be able to map it easily into earth

     measurements, so if someone says that is 1000', you could more easily

     grasp what that really means.

     I ask specifically so that I could make sure that the elevation to

     temperature calculation actually matched reality.  I have a formula at home

     that is something like 100 meters of elevation subtracts 1 degree

     centigrade  or something like that.  Since the temperature calculations are

     in metric, I assumed that the elevation would also be in metric.

     I assumed it was ft not metres because of the scales shown, since some
mountains would otherwise be 15, 20 or even 30 km high...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com