[CF-Devel] save client settings on server

Thu Jul 3 09:05:40 CDT 2003

The philosophy behind my approach back when I did that port w/ per-character
bindings is that the keybindings are, like you pointed out, part of the
character.  I agree that the keybindings should not be kept on the server
since different computers will have different keymappings.  The reason I
chose to use the character's name as the name for the keybinding was that
the character name is unique on each server.  The issue that crops up is:
what happens when someone uses the SAME character name on other servers?
That's why I recommended that anyone who has the time to modify the code to:
1. check to see if a folder with the server name exists
    if not, create that folder
2. store the character keybindings in that folder under the character's name

shouldn't be that hard.  Just don't have the time w/ the projects at work.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Wedel" <

     mwedel at sonic.net

To: <

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:40 AM
Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] save client settings on server

        Before the client was seperated into the client, the keybindings were

     stored

      as part of the character.

        However, this has its own problem - start a new character, and you need

      re-do all your keybindings.  Play on a different server?  Redo all your

      keybindings.  And there are certainly platform/keyboard specific

     problems).

        Given that I tend not to shift around computers I play on, I may not see

     as

      much an issue of tieing keybindings to characters.  If you know you are

     going to

      play on different computers, the keybindings (and all preferences for that

      matter) are stored as simple text files, and easy to copy/move about.

        i really don't like the idea of storing this information on the

     server/with

      player file.  It adds a bunch of complications, for IMO not a lot of gain.

        That said, I could certainly see a case to be made to be able to have

     various

      configuration/keybinding files (all stored client side), and being able to

      select the ones you want to use.

        Thus, you may say 'I want to load by fighter keybindings file' or my

     'cleric'

      file or whatever else (I personally think it also being based on character

     name

      would be bad, although perhaps handy just so you don't have to say what

     binding

      file to load).

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com