[CF-Devel] save client settings on server

Thu Jul 3 02:40:33 CDT 2003

  Before the client was seperated into the client, the keybindings were stored
as part of the character.

  However, this has its own problem - start a new character, and you need to
re-do all your keybindings.  Play on a different server?  Redo all your
keybindings.  And there are certainly platform/keyboard specific problems).

  Given that I tend not to shift around computers I play on, I may not see as
much an issue of tieing keybindings to characters.  If you know you are going to
play on different computers, the keybindings (and all preferences for that
matter) are stored as simple text files, and easy to copy/move about.

  i really don't like the idea of storing this information on the server/with
player file.  It adds a bunch of complications, for IMO not a lot of gain.

  That said, I could certainly see a case to be made to be able to have various
configuration/keybinding files (all stored client side), and being able to
select the ones you want to use.

  Thus, you may say 'I want to load by fighter keybindings file' or my 'cleric'
file or whatever else (I personally think it also being based on character name
would be bad, although perhaps handy just so you don't have to say what binding
file to load).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com