[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Thu Jul 3 22:26:29 CDT 2003

 --- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

      etc.  I think I sort of had the vision of 1 space = 1 mile (obviously,

      isn't accurate for towns, but if you figure that the 'island' is 1000 or

      so spaces in diameter, not really far off the mark - I suppose you could

      increase/decrease that based on your perceived idea of how big th

      continent is.

The weather code puts the north and south poles at the top left and bottom
right corners, with the equator running from the top right to bottom left
corners of the big world map.  This implies that the 'island' is in fact a
major continent taking up most of one side of the planet.  While the pole
and equator placement where not my idea, I had to think these things
through when adding the Coriolis effect to the weather code.  Just for fun,
I decided to spin the Crossfire planet in the reverse direction to Earth.

All these things make for a very strange planet B-).

Is making this planet more realistic a priority?  I don't think so.  I
didn't add the Coriolis effect and sea breezes to add realism, but because
the weather system produced boring weather.  Before I tweaked things, it
would always rain in the same places, and mostly near the water.

On the other hand, it would be good to make a decision, document it, and
stick to it, so that we are all on the same page.  As I mentioned before,
even the USA is officially metric (since 1866), so I say lets make things
metric.  Current elevations are within the bounds of reality for a small
planet with little tectonic activity if they are in meters.  Temperatures
are already in metric, as is the air pressure (I think).

Given the position of the poles a quick bit of maths says that squares 5km
on a side results in a planet about the size of Mars.  Do we want a bigger
planet or a smaller planet?  Smaller can explain why the tops of mountains
are impassable wastelands, they are probably above the atmosphere.

     http://mobile.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Mobile

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com