[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Fri Jul 4 16:43:15 CDT 2003

David Seikel wrote:

      The weather code puts the north and south poles at the top left and bottom

      right corners, with the equator running from the top right to bottom left

      corners of the big world map.  This implies that the 'island' is in fact a

      major continent taking up most of one side of the planet.  While the pole

      and equator placement where not my idea, I had to think these things

      through when adding the Coriolis effect to the weather code.  Just for fun,

      I decided to spin the Crossfire planet in the reverse direction to Earth.

  I was never really happy with the north and south poles being at the corners.
  IT just isn't that intuitive.  I can understand the reason (want the poles to
be relative small areas).  but I also wonder if the map as given should be seen
as covering the entire world, or just some part of it (eg, one of the continents
in the northern hemisphere, for example, such that the equator is near the south
edge of the map, and the north pole would effectively be a few hundred spaces
still farther to the north)

      On the other hand, it would be good to make a decision, document it, and

      stick to it, so that we are all on the same page.  As I mentioned before,

      even the USA is officially metric (since 1866), so I say lets make things

      metric.  Current elevations are within the bounds of reality for a small

      planet with little tectonic activity if they are in meters.  Temperatures

      are already in metric, as is the air pressure (I think).

  Would metric actually increase the effective elevations? Eg, that 'elevation
12000' mountain would now be 36000 feet (about), meaning we have a bunch of
really tall peaks.

      Given the position of the poles a quick bit of maths says that squares 5km

      on a side results in a planet about the size of Mars.  Do we want a bigger

      planet or a smaller planet?  Smaller can explain why the tops of mountains

      are impassable wastelands, they are probably above the atmosphere.

  As said, I never envisioned when making the continent that it would be an
entire hemisphere, rather, it is just part of something bigger.  I suppose when
the north and south poles were added, that added to the idea that it was an
entire hemisphere, but I didn't do that bit :)

  Do I expect new continents to be added?  Not really.  However, when putting
down the towns/roads, I did put up signs which basically amounted to 1 space = 1
mile (eg, scorn, 764 miles north or something).  One could obviously make the
case that a crossfire mile isn't the same as a human mile.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com