[CF-Devel] smoothing code.

Fri Jul 4 02:44:04 CDT 2003

  First, I'd like to thank tchize for updating the protocol to give a better
idea on how that code works.

  I do have some questions/comments.

  First, is it expected/thought that the smoothing (blending) of tiles is likely
to be turned on/off at and object level?  this may be more for the mapmakers -
do you see cases where you woudl say 'I really don't want this grass tile
smoothed with the neighboring tile'.

  In a sense, this comes up because if the answer is 'not really', then the
smoothing attribute could be tied to the face and not object.  That could
simplify a bunch of things.  If there was a case where smoothing was not
desired, that would result in a copy of the image however.

  As a note, I also postulated that such smoothing could be done all in the
client.  Having the server know something about it may not be all that bad however.

I also have some comments about the code as documented:

      S->C: smooth <facenbr> <sm000> <sm001> <sm010> <sm011> <sm100> <sm101> <sm110>!

              All parameters are space separated plain text integers.

              This command informs the client on how to smooth a face, when it will

              need it.  Following are the facenbr of the different pictures involved

              in the smoothing algorithm. See doc on smoothing on how to use them.

              (TODO) This info may be send automatically from server but could also

              be requested by client using the asksmooth

  The general convention is that S->C communication is done in binary format.
This is done for several reasons - it is more efficient cpu wise (easier to pack
in integers vs converting to strings), and it is also more efficient bandwidth
wise.  A lot of C->S communication is string based, not for any particular good
reason, but there is a lot less communication in that direction.

  I'd also like clarification on the comment 'this info may be sent
automatically'.  It strikes me that either this information will be sent (if
some parameters are met, like client has enabled smoothing or whatever, or it
won't be sent.  In other words, this should really be clarified what the
behaviour would be.

      C->S: toggleextendedinfos <string1> <string2> .... <stringn>

              Ask the server to send some additionnal informations about the map.

     <snip>

  Is there a reason this can't be handled in the setup protocol command that
already exists?  the current setup options handle all sorts of options, some
related to map (size of map, darkness), and other areas (sound, what
capabilities the client supports).

      S->C: mapextended <what><length><coord1>[data1a][data1b][data1c]<coord2>...

     <much snipped>

  I can understand the need to send the smoothing information someplace
(presuming we are wanting the information on the server).

  However, sending it as an additional/extra block of data to the map command
doesn't seem right.  To me, the right approach would be to make a 'map2' command
to include this.

  This is for a few reasons. one is efficiency - this mapextended command has a
lot of redundant information to the actual map command we send - 2 bytes for the
coordinate, and then followed by layering information.  If we are on an outdoor
map, with say 200 spaces available, this is 400 bytes of redundant information
(coordinates).

  I'd much rather see a map2 command - toss in another byte for other flags
(like what layering info is being sent.  This gives space for 8 more flags.  If
when that is filled up, a map3 command could be done.

  I also am not sure how useful the extensibly of the mapextended command as
documented would really be.

  IT doesn't really match the current communication model, which is 'if the
client sends it in a setup command, we will send the data the client wants, and
assume it knows how to handle the data'.  Thus, having a field saying how large
each block is so that the client can skip over it if it doesn't understand seems
of marginal usefulness - if the client doesn't understand, we're just wasting
resources by sending it to the client.

  And things can be very extensible by using setup commands and minor variations
of the map commands.  EG, a map2 command could presumably be written using most
of the same code for the map1 and map1a commands.  There'd just be a few spots
in there for certain checks, like an 'if using map2, add extra flag byte'.  And
another 'if using map2, and smoothing enabled, set up the smoothing data'.

  The reason to make a new protocol command (map2) vs just adding extra data to
an existing command is simplicity - it is much simpler on the client to do
something like 'a map2 command - I know the format of this data' vs a 'map1.
Depending on what flags are set, the data could vary widely'.  Much easier to
also track down bugs.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com