[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Fri Jul 4 03:01:13 CDT 2003

Todd wrote:

      Elevation is already clearly visible in the editor and easily changed,

      it is just not realistic to modify the values by hand - there can be

      hundreds or thousands of elevation edits required for even a small

      change.  If the values aren't modified to reflect changes in the map

      during editing then there is little point in having them.

  I recall right now you have to click on an object/space to see the elevation,
correct?

  If so, I wouldn't really call that clearly visible.  Imagine you want to look
at a map and quickly see what the elevation is doing - that's a lot of pain there.

  Your point of massive map changes is valid.  How often is that likely to
happen?  (honest question).  And we are talking about the existing bigworld maps
here - if someone scratch builds a new world, that is a different can of worms
I'm not trying to solve, and I don't think there is a good way to solve that (I
think any automatic elevation generation system is likely to have
problems/issues also that would make it less than ideal).

  But it seems there are two cases here, which are not easy to solve and mostly
opposite:

1) I make massive changes, and I want to keep the existing elevation (in which
case an elevation backfill script would work just fine).

2) I make massive changes, and all the elevations for the new objects/spaces
also need to change, so a backfill script won't work.

  #1 seems to already be mostly solved, as I believe elevation backfill scripts
exist, and if not, it'd be easy to write one.

  #2 is a bit more effort.  To me, filling in the data algorithmicly would be
less than ideal.  However, one could certainly write something that does that -
but if that was done, I'd just as well have it update the objects on the map
itself vs writing elevation to yet some other file/location.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com