[CF-Devel] smoothing screenshots

Tue Jul 15 07:04:24 CDT 2003

Le Samedi 12 Juillet 2003 11:52, Todd Mitchell a écrit :

      Well things progress.  I put up a wack of screen shots up at

      http://abraxis.sytes.net/games/cfstuff/smooth

       for your edification.

      It's not perfect, but things are improving rapidly.  The biggest problem

      is the trees right now.

      Since lava works fine, next should be the waters I suppose.

      As you can see (#9 inside the 'lake' is a 'lake') lakes arches are

      pretty much dead with smoothing, they aren't needed anymore.

If you are speaking of the lake bug in the town hall, this is a
problem related to the sea face. That's why i suggested to have the
sea at top level with an empty smooth face. So sea border will not be
softened.
Sure we could remove lake items and use the smoothing code to
achieve same results (like for the rivers), but i think the smoothing should
be kept as optionnal for the client. Moreover this mean redrawing parts of the
map, which may take time. There is an additionnal problem.
At some places, we have sea covering another item. This was not visible until
smoothing was there. Let's say a mapmaker did put a sea block ontop of a
grass block. This is a mistake which is invisible. But if there is no grass
block below the neighbor sea blocks, we will see grass border appear from
nowhere. This may have been the case with lots of other objects, but i
realize the issue is more important with sea. Seems some mapmaker have done
thing like putting grass then sea blocks to create lake than decided to
extend a bit the lake on top of grass. This operation end up as a mess in
smoothing operations, as you could have seen in city hall in Scorn.
I strongly recommend to put sea at toplevel, at least on a temporary basis.
This is, i think, the best way, for now, to work around the problem until
maps have been fixed.

      We could

      start phasing them out once the code is considered reliable.  Rivers

      maybe will be around longer (at least the narrow ones).

We should be sure there is no more speed problems related with smoothing code
client side.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com