[CF-Devel] smoothing screenshots

Tue Jul 15 22:47:11 CDT 2003

     If you are speaking of the lake bug in the town hall, this is a

     problem related to the sea face. That's why i suggested to have the

     sea at top level with an empty smooth face. So sea border will not be

     softened.

I still don't agree, I am having better results with the water being low
although I have rethought it a bit to make a couple things lower than water
(an arch for beaches - this mainly because if the wave thing I am playing
with).  If water is not very low then you will have a problem with chopping
off every bridge and pier or building on the water edge.  The way lakes are
done represents an attempt at smoothing which should be replaced by this new
method of smoothing.  The way lakes are done now is half assed and prone to
error as you point out - requiring two arches to get the same effect as
here.  If the client turns off smoothing the lakes should have square
borders. It looks a bit worse, but no worse than any other tiled object
without smoothing.  The solution is to fix the lakes, not have two types of
landscape smoothing.  Rivers are another story...

     I strongly recommend to put sea at toplevel, at least on a temporary basis.

     This is, i think, the best way, for now, to work around the problem until

     maps have been fixed.

Like I said - this will wreck things like bridges and docs and buildings...
Also if the water is higher the edges are passable because you are
overlapping ground, where if the water is lower, the edges are not passable
since it is land overlapping water - having the water lower will be less
work to fix maps than having it higher...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com