[CF-Devel] Adding improvments

Fri Jul 25 07:01:18 CDT 2003

     I would like to add the following improvement to the >crossfire client/server protocol:

     1) Using the new mapextended command add a new sub >command which would allow

     server to send the NPC dialogs and the say/shout >commands localized on the mp

     when possible or (if it is simpler, not yet checked) >to modify a bit the

     current NDI_* command to include relative >localisation when possible.

Such work is already under way on my side (alongside the matching client implementation in the new SDL client).

Strategy used: Add a new setting parameter. If the parameter is activated, send a new command instead of drawinfo.

New command listing:

Type is the type of message, as 16bits. Maybe a bit large and could probably be reduced to 8.

Parms are the message parameters. Includes things like DX,DY,Volume for local messages ("say" and the likes). Content and length vary according to Type.
Message is the message text itself.

     2) Add new entries to the current command used to >request for

     username/password. This command is supposed to ask >the client to draw data in

     a specific dialog. This is used in username >requesting, password, magic map,

     and i think the stats changing at the creation of >player. I would like to be

     able to send the text read from scroll and book in a >specific dialog so

     client could be able to put a scroll or a book in >front of player in which he

     could read and turn the pages (little work for >server, more impressive client

     side :P ). This could be extended to monuments and >signs, to motd and

     letters.

     If you're thinking about some kind of extended query/reply pair of commands, well, such work is already under way on my side alongside with the matching client implementation (Yes, again the SDL new client code).

Strategy used: setting activating the new command set instead of the old ones.

New command listing:

Follows the same spirit as extmessage above.

     3) The client now handles the animations in inventory >windows. I would like to

     use the mapextended command to send animations >informations to the client

     concerning the map too. This could prevent to have

     <snip>
Such work is already under way on my side alongside the matching client implementation (In the new SDL client code).

     If you have any suggestions/comment before i start >the work, i ask you to send

     them during this week-end (since am not here to >receive them ;-) )

It is said that great minds always cross each other. Looks specially true in that case. Point (1) and (2) are at the beta-test stage already (the GTK backport has yet to be done, and the current client implementation doesn't (yet) open a new window to display specific things - instead it uses different colors)

Point (3) was about 50% done; however, since I didn't yet attempted to recover those source files from the dying hard drive, I currently cannot tell if it is still available or if it will have to be written again. Don't expect answers before Monday if I'm lucky with data hunting.

(Yes, I was working without telling anyone. And before someone else asks, there's also some re-attempt around custom dungeon building, and maybe an implementable way to adapt CF to smooth moves. So now you know what I'm doing during my holidays)

(Oh, and I nearly forgot some new pictures for the logger as well)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com