[CF-Devel] Adding improvments

Fri Jul 25 07:36:25 CDT 2003

Le Vendredi 25 Juillet 2003 14:01, Yann Chachkoff a écrit :

      >I would like to add the following improvement to the >crossfire

      > client/server protocol:

      >1) Using the new mapextended command add a new sub >command which would

      > allow server to send the NPC dialogs and the say/shout >commands

      > localized on the mp when possible or (if it is simpler, not yet checked)

      > >to modify a bit the current NDI_* command to include relative

      > >localisation when possible.

      Such work is already under way on my side (alongside the matching client

      implementation in the new SDL client).

      Strategy used: Add a new setting parameter. If the parameter is activated,

      send a new command instead of drawinfo.

      New command listing:

      Type is the type of message, as 16bits. Maybe a bit large and could

      probably be reduced to 8.

      Parms are the message parameters. Includes things like DX,DY,Volume for

      local messages ("say" and the likes). Content and length vary according to

      Type. Message is the message text itself.

      >2) Add new entries to the current command used to >request for

      >username/password. This command is supposed to ask >the client to draw

      > data in a specific dialog. This is used in username >requesting,

      > password, magic map, and i think the stats changing at the creation of

      > >player. I would like to be able to send the text read from scroll and

      > book in a >specific dialog so client could be able to put a scroll or a

      > book in >front of player in which he could read and turn the pages

      > (little work for >server, more impressive client side :P ). This could be

      > extended to monuments and >signs, to motd and letters.

      If you're thinking about some kind of extended query/reply pair of

      commands, well, such work is already under way on my side alongside with

      the matching client implementation (Yes, again the SDL new client code).

      Strategy used: setting activating the new command set instead of the old

      ones.

      New command listing:

In fact i thought about using the actual one since there is already a 'type'
parameter followed by the data itself. Could you think about sending your
actual stage of work so i could take a look at it and make suggestion/changes
(is there a way to identify the type of book the user is reading so we could
change the pages pictures, ...?)

      Follows the same spirit as extmessage above.

      >3) The client now handles the animations in inventory >windows. I would

      > like to use the mapextended command to send animations >informations to

      > the client concerning the map too. This could prevent to have

      <snip>

      Such work is already under way on my side alongside the matching client

      implementation (In the new SDL client code).

      >If you have any suggestions/comment before i start >the work, i ask you to

      > send them during this week-end (since am not here to >receive them ;-) )

      It is said that great minds always cross each other. Looks specially true

      in that case. Point (1) and (2) are at the beta-test stage already (the GTK

      backport has yet to be done, and the current client implementation doesn't

      (yet) open a new window to display specific things - instead it uses

      different colors)

      Point (3) was about 50% done; however, since I didn't yet attempted to

      recover those source files from the dying hard drive, I currently cannot

      tell if it is still available or if it will have to be written again. Don't

      expect answers before Monday if I'm lucky with data hunting.

And once again, no backups (neither back cups) :)

      (Yes, I was working without telling anyone. And before someone else asks,

      there's also some re-attempt around custom dungeon building, and maybe an

      implementable way to adapt CF to smooth moves. So now you know what I'm

      doing during my holidays)

interresting about smooth moves (want to take a look)

      (Oh, and I nearly forgot some new pictures for the logger as well)

Am out of work?
So i think i'll buy a microphone a squeak a bit. This should makes better
sounds than the actual ones.

I really would like a copy of your server/SDL client so i could work on it too
(Want to check the skinnable part, or do it if it's not yet done).

By the way, for saturday, the train is at 9:40 with possible delay of 5 to 15
minutes due to some guys working somewhere along the way. (just didn't want
to send an additionnal mail). And little brother brings his *thing* so we
need 3 seats in car (well if there's less seats, the *thing* can walk or take
the bus :P )

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com