[CF-Devel] remove IP from who command

Sat Jul 26 18:31:48 CDT 2003

So, we could add some more client-side functionality as a complex chat
system, in gtk client it could be tabbed, it might offer:

an "INFO" channel, where you see what happens in the game (life loses,
kills, signs readings, etc.)
a "SAY" channel, where you hear what people on your same room is, and,
by typing while in there, you don't need to type 'say. (interesting for
quests/talking with npc's).
a "GENERAL CHAT" channel, where you can talk with everybody without
typing 'shout
a "PARTY CHANNEL" channel, where you can party chat without typing
'party say
and, i'd add some more client commands, like 'query NICKNAME, which
opens a tab (that you can close in any moment you want) to anyone, him
messages will be showed there, and you won't need to write 'tell
NICKNAME for telling him anything, there. They might blink when there
are messages and you haven't read them

That would be a xchat/mIRC look that would make easier chatting,
therefore roleplaying, in the game :)

El s?, 26-07-2003 a las 23:25, Todd Mitchell escribió:

      On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 01:34, Mark Wedel wrote:

      > Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > > I believe that the IP display should be removed from the who command

      > > when used by non DM players.

      >   Is there a reason why?

      A few reasons:

      It is not 'atmospheric' information.

      It is not really game related information.

      It is subject to abuse by goonish players (do you want your IP written

      on a truckstop bathroom somewhere in Kentucky?).

      > > On a mostly unrelated note it would be an idea if the location portion

      > > of Who was removed from non DM players as well and replaced with a spell

      > > that locates other players, perhaps even a spell that checks against

      > > the other players level to locate them.

      >   I think the original idea was to see where other players are, to assist in

      > playing together.

      >   However, I could certainly see a feature like 'cloak' which hides where you

      > are or whatever.  Only DM's could penetrate the cloak.

      >   I don't see much point to adding a complete set of spells to find players, and

      > spells to make it harder to find.

      I think that by giving out player location 'for free' we are mising the

      chance to add some nifty functionality.  It is always possible to shout

      and to ask/tell your location to others so I don't think it's a big loss

      for interplayer co-operation because if people want to be found they can

      easily make their presence known.  If you log in and want to see where

      every one is hanging out you can shout 'where is everyone at?'.

      BUT if there is a system for locating and hiding you have a bunch of new

      game dynamics to play with.  It would be fun. I remember playing on a

      mud and getting to the level where I got the 'where' command ability.

      It was great, I felt as if I had really gained something, not just

      leveled up.  It was so much better and game-immersive to have it as an

      personal ability I earned than a generic command like drop or attack.

      It also would make it possible to do stuff like play manhunter and hide

      and seek and stuff.

      High level players are always saying there's nothing to do, it would be

      possible to play with the knowledge of the game you've gained in a good

      world spanning manhunt.

      Even if instead of a spell/scroll, there was just a 'where' command that

      compared the level of the user vs the level of the person being sought

      it would be more interesting than having it in 'who'.

      On the other hand, you could have a lot of fun in the game with a

      complex system for locating any unique object or other players which

      took into account stuff like levels, skills (tracking, divination),

      spells (scrolls and rings and stuff too...) and other modifiers like

      inate inscrutability.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com