[CF-Devel] remove IP from who command

Sun Jul 27 00:02:08 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 01:34, Mark Wedel wrote:

      A few reasons:

      It is not 'atmospheric' information.

      It is not really game related information.

      It is subject to abuse by goonish players (do you want your IP written

      on a truckstop bathroom somewhere in Kentucky?).

  If a trucker cares about my ip address, he is more than welcome to know it.

  I really don't care too much one way or the other.  And I could certainly see
that anonymonity being a good thing (you don't want the players to know that you
are also the person that played some character when you make a new one up).

  I'm pretty sure the log files do pretty accurately record that information, or
it could certainly be added.  It could be argued that having the log files
available for public review (as well as core files) sort of bypasses that
security.  I wonder if metalforge (and other servers that make their core/log
files available) should password protect them and give the password to
developers so not any yahoo can see them.

  As far as player information, if decided that making it hidden is a good idea,
I'd rather just see a simple comparision (eg, cast 'locate player' spell or the
like), and not make it even more confusion with ways for the player to obscure
it.  If so desired, make it so that caster level of the spell is significant,
but lets no go beyond there.

  However, if you're talking atmospheric/game related info, the availability of
the shout and other commands that can bypass any distance bounds isn't all that
realistic.  I can understand its use.  But one just has to be careful how much
one uses such an arguement for/against features.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com