[CF-Devel] Features suggestions

Sun Jul 27 00:32:39 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      Best way to do this would be to add somethimg like a 'custom_name'

      field to the object. If it is sent, it is used instead of the normal

      naming, if it is not set, then normal naming is used.

      Wouldn't that require some changes to the function finding items by

      name? (used in 'apply' for instance)

      The aim of name changing would of course be to use that name for apply /

      other commands.

  It would require some changes, but I believe a common function (or functions)
is used for matching names, so it wouldn't be that much harder.

  My motto in terms of development is 'do the correct implementation, not the
fast/easy implementation'.  This is largely because in the end, the correct
implementation will almost certainly be done.

  If you start with just allowing some subset of items to be renamed, almost
certainly players will ask/want to be able to rename all objects.  And almost
certainly, having it not be the official name will sort out some obscure bugs.

  One I can immediately think of is sacrifices on altars - if I'm able to rename
an object in my inventory to anything I want, and it updates the official name,
I've now just about come up with a way to do the sacrifice on any altar in the
game, even if that would normally require very rare/hard to find objects.

      Hum, but there should be a way maybe for players to trade items with

      custom name, no?

      Like I wanna show to someone alchemy recipes i have starting in 'A',

      it'd be a pain to drop the scroll & have to rename it after...

      Ok, you can copy & paste in say command (multiline works correctly, btw?

      think i tried but can't remember), but it isn't the same :-)

  Well, another way might to do clear the custom name at load or save time.
Thus, two players on the same maps could exchange stuff all the way, and have
the custom names stick.  But if someone drops something on a floor, and it is a
while before someone else finds it (map was saved out), reasonable to think that
its special name shouldn't stick.

  There would of course have to be some exception handling for unique
maps/apartments, so that the custom name doesn't get stripped for items that
should legitamately keep their name.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com