[CF-Devel] Features suggestions

Mon Jul 28 00:59:26 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark Wedel wrote:

      > But are functions actually checking an item's name that many? I think

      > for instance the god enchanting weapon one (to punish you if you have an

      > item of another god), but are there others?

Altars and alchemy at least.

      > Also, i'll point out that the prepare weapon actually changes the name

      > (weapon->name) of the prepared item, so changing an item's name isn't

      > that bad apparently ^_^

Even this restricted naming can be abused :
1. Calculate the hash value of a formula with rare ingredients.
2. Calculate the hash value of cheap weapon eg. club.
3. Make character with appropriate name.
Now you can make this formula with
1 club, 1 gem, 1 prepare weapon.

        Note that the other advantage of a new field is that the original name is

      always available (for example, if someone did make a quest where you had to

      sacrifice the bag of valhalla, which is a special item, but a player renamed the

      bag of valhalla, he could be somewhat screwed).  Since sacrifices would still

      deal with the items real name, that wouldn't be an issue.

     Even worse:  some player might rename some crap (eg. scroll)
"bag of valhalla" .
The altar would accept the item if it can't know the real name.
Even allowing to set the title would be extremely abusive concerning
alchemy.
So, i think, the extra field is necessary.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com