[CF-Devel] Features suggestions & questions

Wed Jul 30 10:08:39 CDT 2003

Hello.

I've been starting to check how to implement a custom name for items.

As I see it, I need to tweak loader.l to correctly load/save the custom
name, object.c for copy/free, and arch.c:item_matched_string to handle it.

Custom name will of course appear in the 'examine' result, and will be
used for name matching on apply/mark/and so on (through
item_matched_string).

I got a question related to client side, though: would it be better to
see the custom name in inventory window? or keep original name?
I'd rather see the custom name, so you don't have to examine items to
know their custom name. But maybe that would break some things? As i see
the code, it's just a matter of replacing 'name' with the custom name in
the sending code (at least 3 times [almost] the same code, btw...).

Also should name be saved when dropping the object? I'd say yes so you
can exchange stuff with others. And also don't lose the name by simply
dropping ^_^
Of course that may cause troubles if a player sees an item with a custom
name & doesn't check the real name...

What do you think of that?

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com