[CF-Devel] Scroll writing failure bug

Mon Jun 9 02:02:44 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 08-Jun-03 Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      But you lose

     experience in MAGIC whether it was a priest or magic spell

      You lose exp for tyring to do something and failing?  That seems kinda broken.

  Yeah, that does.

  However,  I think the original complaint was that he was losing exp in the
wrong skill.

  If anything, you should lose exp in inscription, and not the praying/wizardry
skill.  But that is probably more a problem due to the way that the code
activated skills.

  I will say this should be fixed in the new skill code I have written.

  However, since this was started, it does bring up an interesting question -
currently, you can only scribe spells that would normally be found on scrolls.

  Given the new skill code, that check is harder, and IMO, perhaps more useless.
  IMO, one of the cool things would be for players to make scrolls for spells
that are normally not available.

Does anyone see any issue in being able to make scrolls for spells not normally
found on scrolls (note, you still need to have been able to learn this spell
somehow or another to make a scroll of it).  If its a scroll that doesn't
translate well (eg, blows up in your face, whatever), to me, that is a risk we
should let the players take if they make scrolls.  Something like a scroll of
rune of marking would be really useless, but if someone wants to make them....

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com