[CF-Devel] Scroll writing failure bug

Mon Jun 9 02:14:55 CDT 2003

       Yeah, that does.

       However,  I think the original complaint was that he was losing exp

      in the wrong skill.

Correct. I don't mind losing exp for scroll failure (and getting
confused / losing charisma), but losing xp in the wrong skill is weird :-)
Besides the loss isn't that great, around 200 points only, doesn't
matter (i wrote like 50 scrolls & lost what? 20k xp? not a big deal for
a >40 char)

       If anything, you should lose exp in inscription, and not the

      praying/wizardry skill.  But that is probably more a problem due to

      the way that the code activated skills.

I think inscription is currently attached to mental...

      Does anyone see any issue in being able to make scrolls for spells not

      normally found on scrolls (note, you still need to have been able to

      learn this spell somehow or another to make a scroll of it).  If its a

      scroll that doesn't translate well (eg, blows up in your face,

      whatever), to me, that is a risk we should let the players take if

      they make scrolls.  Something like a scroll of rune of marking would

      be really useless, but if someone wants to make them....

I think that would slightly change the balance of the game... for
instance, right now you can't write scrolls of healing, meaning you have
to either find potions or use the prayer.... and regenerate grace.
If we could write those spells, we'd make 100 scrolls, thus it'd be
easier to heal. Maybe not an issue if you have a lot of healing potions
in any case, but still...

Nicolas Weeger

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com